Meet the team
Our team has over sixty years collective experience in defending clients in all aspects of motoring law.
We have three members of our team and all work is supervised by Teerath Gill, Head of Crime and Motoring Offences.
Teerath Gill – Member and Head of Crime and Motoring offences
Teerath Gill is a Solicitor and the Head of our Crown Court Department and Serious Crime Division. He is also the Head of the Regulatory Department.
Teerath is a Coventry Solicitor however, specialises in all aspects of criminal law and spends nearly all his time working on substantial and complex cases nationally. Teerath has dealt with cases all over the country and, in particular, for offences as wide ranging as Terrorism, Murder, Importation of Drugs, Supply of Drugs, Human Trafficking, Sexual Grooming and Exploitation.
Balbir Dahil– Solicitor
Balbir has a degree in Law and Politics and then completed the Bar Finals at the Inns of Court School of Law before being admitted as a Solicitor in 1995. He has specialised in criminal defence and motoring law since qualification and been at Askews Legal LLP since January 2014. Prior to this Balbir was a partner in a firm in Coventry having spent the early part of his career at a large criminal practice based in Birmingham. He has considerable expertise in representing clients at police stations and Magistrates Courts.
Sarah McCormack – Solicitor
Sarah qualified as a solicitor in 1996. She attended the University of Liverpool and obtained a degree in Law and the completed the Legal Practice Course at the College of Law in Chester. Sarah has specialised in dealing with criminal and motoring offences ever since qualifying. She has worked at several firms and was previously a partner in a firm. Sarah joined the team at Askews Legal LLP in April 2018. She represents clients at police station interviews and appears regularly in Magistrates Courts defending clients in all aspects of Criminal and Motoring cases.
Our expert motoring solicitors are able to defend you in all types of motoring offences. We know that your driving licence is important to you and that the loss of it can result in the loss of your livelihood and further impact on your family life. We are here to assist you in protecting your licence and get you the best possible outcome in your motoring case. We can help you to avoid ban, obtain the least possible penalty points and seek to persuade prosecutors to withdraw proceedings.
We have considerable experience in dealing with all aspects of motoring law from dangerous driving to speeding. Whether you are facing a drink driving charge or have been caught using your mobile phone whilst driving and are facing points on your licence, our solicitors will use their expertise to advise you every step of the way.
Our solicitors regularly defend clients at the police station and Magistrates’ and Crown Courts facing motoring allegations. We can also help with appeals against disqualification and applications for early reinstatement of your licence.
In some cases we may be able to obtain legal aid for you. Where legal aid is not available we charge reasonable and transparent fees and in many cases can provide you with a fixed fee so that you will not have to worry about legal costs.
Depending on the nature and complexity of your case,the motoring team are able to assist you in the following ways:
- Taking your instructions, considering the evidence and providing advice in a single appointment
- Attendance and representation at a single hearing at the Magistrates Court (guilty plea cases)
- Preparation and representation in more complex cases including not guilty pleas, trials, special reasons arguments, exceptional hardship applications, applications to restore a driving licence early
Our solicitors charge an hourly rate of £205+ VAT
Depending upon the complexity we are able to offer fixed fees in some cases. For instance:
Guilty plea to drink driving related offence, driving without due care and attention or speeding – £500 plus VAT (local court) or £750 +VAT (court up to 45 mins drive away from Coventry)
- Up to one hours attendance/preparation to include:
- Considering evidence
- Taking your instructions
- Providing advice on plea and likely sentence
- Attendance and representation at a single hearing at the Magistrates Court
The fee does not include:
- Instruction of any expert witness
- Taking statements from any witnesses
- Advice and assistance in relation to making a special reasons or exceptional hardship argument
- Advice or assistance in relation to any appeal
It is difficult to estimate how long your case would take at court as it would depend on the court listing for that day however we would anticipate being at court with you for up to half a day.
Other cases (For example trials, special reasons or exceptional hardship arguments)
Simple case £1500-2500 plus VAT
This would include:
- Initial meeting with your solicitor to provide instructions
- Consideration of disclosure and other evidence by the solicitor and providing advice on it and advising you as to plea
- Arranging to take witness statements or identifying and instructing an expert witness (this will have an additional cost at the hourly rate-typically will take one hour and a half per witness)
- Explaining the court procedure to you and explaining the court’s sentencing options
- Conducting any further preparatory work, obtaining further instructions from you as the case progresses and answering any follow up queries you may have
- Attending at court and meeting with you before representing you during the hearing
- Discussing the outcome with you and advising on an appeal
Medium and high complexity cases
Our pricing for medium complexity case are £2500 – £3500 (excluding VAT) and for high complexity cases £3500 to £10000.
Factors that can make a case more complex would include:
- a trial involving a large number of witnesses in the prosecution case or to support your case
- a trial which is expected to last longer than half a day
- cases involving the instruction of expert witnesses such as accident investigators or medical experts
- cases requiring site visits
- a complex or novel area of law
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as experts fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process. Expert reports are not required in many cases. We will let you know as soon as possible if we consider an expert report is necessary and the fees involved.