Kuljeet is a Senior Solicitor and a founding member and Partner of Askews Legal LLP. His practice is split between litigation and commercial transactional work. As well as being a Solicitor, Kuljeet is also a Notary Public.
He has over 10 years’ experience in the areas of law he practises in. Kuljeet’s main strength lies in his ability to use practical language and provide clear concise advice, in a format suitable for both the sophisticated and lay client.
Kuljeet regularly advises on many Commercial and Business issues that have resulted in disputes, and provides specialist litigation support in respect of commercial property, acquisition agreements, insolvency and company shareholder/director dispute matters.
Kuljeet has acted on a number of Multi-Track disputes in the High Court of Justice (Chancery Division and Queens Bench Division) regarding business disputes, these include matters such as:
- Property Disputes. Commercial Leases (ranging from contentious lease renewals, to forfeiture, dilapidation and breach of covenant claims), Possession actions, Restrictive Covenants, Easement queries, Property Misdescription, Proprietary Estoppel, Adverse Possession, Rectification of Title and various aspects of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954 and almost anything else that could be contentious for Landlord and Tenant clients. Recently, he acted for an investor client in a dispute regarding the purchase of 64 apartments, the value being excess of £10million.
- Contract and Company Disputes. Kuljeet has acted on a number of shareholder and director disputes, which relate to breach of contract and or shareholders agreements. He advises shareholders on Unfair Prejudice Petitions under section 994 of the Companies Act 2006 and the remedies they can secure under this head of law, together with improperly conducted company affairs by directors, and their breaches of statutory duties.
- Injunctions. In the context of property and other commercial disputes, Kuljeet regularly acts for clients who wish to pursue injunctive claims. An injunction is a court order that either sets out something that someone is required to do, or something which they are prohibited from doing. It can be sought as a stand-alone procedure or as part of a wider dispute and often sought in short order.
- Professional Negligence Disputes. Comprising of claims against Solicitors, Accountant, Surveyors and Architects for acting negligently causing a loss to clients. Kuljeet has acted on a number of cases particularly against Solicitors that had been negligent, with all such disputes having been resolved favourably for his clients.
- Insolvency Disputes. Kuljeet regularly advises on a variety of insolvency type of matters from service to setting aside statutory demands, winding up petitions and having recently acted and resolved a multi-million pound claim under s423 Insolvency Act 1986, comprising of allegations of undervalue share transfers and property transfers to avoid paying creditors. This matter was before the Vice-Chancellor, Mr Justice Snowden, with hearings in the Liverpool and London High Court.
Kuljeet is known for providing commercial solutions, which are efficient, practical and cost effective. He has represented clients in ADR and mediation to resolve disputes to the satisfaction of clients. Nevertheless, where commercially appropriate Kuljeet has no hesitation in resorting to litigation to achieve the client’s objective and will pursue such litigation with rigour, aggression and drive.
When necessary, Kuljeet will instruct appropriate specialist junior and leading (QCs) Barristers, and he will continue to provide the strategic leadership required in the more complex cases.
BUSINESS ACQUISITIONS AND DISPOSALS
Kuljeet’s understanding of the wider commercial world, allows him to provide focussed advise on the acquisition and disposal of businesses either by asset purchase or share purchase methods. Kuljeet recognises that when clients instruct, they are looking for more than a transactional contract solicitor, and are seeking practical legal solutions from an expert team who understand the commercial realities of running a business.
Kuljeet acts for a variety of businesses, the following are just some sectors that the Commercial team advise on, on a day to day basis:
- Professional services
- Food, Drink, Bars and Nightclubs
- Care Homes
Depending on your needs, our specialist commercial, commercial property, corporate and employment teams can assist in these transactions.
Kuljeet is a qualified Notary Public and acts for a broad spectrum of clients ranging from individuals and international companies to authenticate documents and forms for use outside of England and Wales. Kuljeet provides various services such as:
- Witnessing the execution of documents
- Authenticate the contents of documents; administer oaths and declarations
- Authentication of signatures
- Dealing with land and property documents overseas
- Child travel consent documents
- Authenticating personal documents for a variety of uses overseas
- Authenticating the execution of Powers of Attorney for use overseas
Kuljeet can also deal with Legalisation of documents by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.